WELCOME TO THIS GREAT EDUCATIONAL BLOG

Welcome to my Pre-Nursing Exam Prep blog. I hope it will help you prepare very well for the Pre-NLN entrance exam, popularly known as the PAX exam. This is one of the entrance exams required by some schools for those who want to pursue careers in the nursing field in the USA. I will attempt to break down the review materials into manageable parts so that you can systematically and efficiently prepare for the test with less stress. I will guide you to prepare for the entire content of the test. Hopefully, you will be able to pass after going through these series.


BEST OF LUCK!


To support this blog you can make a donation by clicking on the link below:
Become a Patron!

A 12-DAY APPROACH TO ACE THE EXAM

SCIENCE REVIEWThe topics that are generally covered in the test have been grouped into twelve instructional modules below. You will be tested only on the basic concepts of physics, chemistry and biology. Click on science topics and select any of the topics listed in the module to review.

Lesson 1:

Basic structure of atom

Types of tissues

Lesson 2:

Movement of substances across the cell membrane

Acids and bases, pH scale

Carbohydrates, proteins, lipids and nucleic acids

Lesson 3:

Basic structure of the eye

Basic structure of the ear

Nervous system

Lesson 4:

Circulatory system

Introduction to mechanics (motion/forces)

Electrical circuits

Lesson 5:

Balancing chemical equations and writing formulas

Essentials of photosynthesis and respiration

Classifying organic compounds

Magnetism

Electromagnetism

Lesson 6:

Interpretation of graphs and pictograms

Analyzing and making conclusions from experiments

Data analysis

Lesson 7:

Endocrine system

Digestive system

Genitourinary system

Lesson 8:

Reproduction in mammals

Basic parts of a flower

Reproduction in plants (the process of pollination

Genetics

Lesson 9:

Modes of heat transfer

Calculating heat energies and phase diagrams

Temperature conversions (Kelvin, Celsius, Fahrenheit)

Lesson 10:

Gas laws (Boyle, Charles, Gay-Lussac)

Types of energy (Potential, kinetic, etc…..)

Chemical bonds, equilibrium and equilibrium constants

Mixtures, types of solutions, solubility

Lesson 11:

Concepts of the food pyramid, food web and food chain

Light (diffraction, refraction, reflection, dispersion)

Basic concepts on waves

Sound waves

Catalyst and enzymes

Lesson 12:

Symbiosis

Ecology

The Electroscope

Radioactivity and half-life Tropism

Tropism

Thursday, May 29, 2014

SCORE REPORTING - INTERPRETATION OF SCORES

The nursing schools that use the pre-NLN exam set their own admission criterion. They set the minimum pass score and percentile rank.


Raw scores is how many questions you got right out of the questions you were given. For example, for verbal, if you get 44 out of 60 questions right, then your raw score will be 44 out of 60.

The percentile ranks are based on all those who took the test at some specified point in time. The percentile scores/ranks are reported under the following:

DI = students who took the exam who were applying for a diploma program.
AD = students who took the exam who were applying for an associates program.
All = students applying to schools that can grant an associates or a BSN.

The numbers underneath each of them is a percentile not a percentage - it's how much better you did compared to other students who took the exam.

For example, if the percentile under AD, for verbal is 75 - it means that you are in the 75th percentile.This means that you did better than 75% of the people that took the test in verbal who were applying for an Associates program, in other words, 25% of the people did better than you. Likewise, if for math, under AD, you got a 90 - you are in the 90th percentile - you did better than 90% of the people that took the test in math who were applying for an Associates program. In other word, 10 % of the people did better than you.

For composite scores:
The composite score range is 0-200. The composite percentile will always be 99 or lower. You really can't get 100 because then you'd be scoring better than yourself. 100 is average and most students score around 100. To crack past 150 is quite difficult for most students. You would either have to get almost every question right. Getting between 125-135 will put you in the top 10%

Composite scores are also reported for verbal, math, and science - for these scores, 100 is the highest you can get, 50 is the average, and 1 is the lowest you can get. 

Here is a sample score:

                                             Percentiles
                     Raw Scores      DI     AD    ALL 
         Verbal:      44/60           87     80     80
         Math:        36/40            98     97     97
         Science:    42/60            93     89     88


Composite Score: 135            97    93    94 (Composite Percentile Score)

In general, if you get two-thirds of questions right in each subject area, you can guarantee yourself a percentile above 70. 

67 comments:

  1. my scores were 17/60, 40/40, 40/60 my composite score was 58 what does this mean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lyric, 17/60 means you answered 17 questions correctly out of 60 questions on the verbal sections. You did excellent on the math (40/40) and good on the science (40/60). The verbal section is your weakest link and this has resulted in a composite (overall) score of 58. The composite score is on a scale of 0-200. The composite score is a weighted average of all the sores. A low composite score, translates to a low percentile rank. I suggests you review the verbal and aim at getting about 40 out of 60 next time. Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my name is massiel my composite score is a 66 verbal 42/60 math 38/40 science 30/60

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Massiel, looking at your scores, you did good on the math and verbal but the science was a little bit of a problem for you. This is the reason why your composite score is low. If you can aim at getting at least 40 on the science, you can improve your composite score and your overall percentile ranking. Wish you the best!

      Delete
  4. Hello my name is Abraham. I just got my score and received verbal 33/60, math 30/40, and science 35/60.
    My composite score is 113.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just above average score. Could be better but I guess it may land you into a nursing program depending on the school you choose to go. Some schools are very competitive than others. What was your percentile rank?

      Delete
  5. I need to get an overall score of at least 100 to apply to the nursing program. What does this mean?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The composite score is generated using a formula based on the scores on all the three sections. If you look at the above post, Goose Herder had the following scores: verbal 33/60, math 30/40, and science 35/60. The composite score was 113.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend got a composite score of 69 would she get in?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmmm! This composite score is very low. Most nursing programs want scores above 100.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there,
    My school requires 50% of each area, and a composite % of 70 or above. I'm pretty decent at math and have been studying the book for a month now, went to 2 tutoring sessions and have an app on my phone that gives me practice questions. I'm not sure how they weight each section, so what should you aim for or above to hit the 70th percentile mark?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They use a formula to weigh each session. If you score two-thirds of questions on each session right, you will certainly get a composite score of above 70%. That is, 30 out of 40 for math, 40 out of 60 for science and verbal. Please see the other responses above!

      Delete
  10. My composite score is 93. I'm a little bit worried if I'll make it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's your percentile rank? Composite scores above 100 is better!

      Delete
  11. my school requires me to get at least 45%ile for each section. but I still don't know how many correct questions I have to get for each section, especially verbal section. This is the one that I worry about most. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nhung, getting two-thirds of the questions right will give you excellent scores. For example, for verbal, aim at getting 40 out of 60 correct. Math 30 out of 40 and science 40 out of 60. Your composite score percentile would be above 80%

      Delete
  12. I need a composite score of 81% to be accepted into nursing school. How well do I need to score in each section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello goodluck on getting your desire score. which nursing school accept 81 or higher?

      Delete
    2. You will have to get two-thirds out of the questions right. For example, for verbal, aim at getting 40 out of 60 correct. Math 30 out of 40 and science 40 out of 60. Your composite score percentile would be above 80%.

      Delete
  13. I got a composite score of 135 which resulted in 91% rank. Is it a decent score?

    ReplyDelete
  14. what did you study? i am studying for mine now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What book should i study to get a good score

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello. I got a composite score of 98. I only need to get 81 questions correct to get into my lvn program. I got 67% out of 60 questions correct on verbal.
    50% out of 40 questions on math correct.
    And 47% out of 60 questions right on science.
    What is my score??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure of what your score will be but the composite percentile is not likely to be more than 50%.

      Delete
  17. It means the Standard Error of Mean.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi please help me out I need a 95 for rn and 101 for rn-bsn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Success is within your reach, Jc C. Push yourself a little bit more by taking time to watch my videos and exercises on the blog. I have provided tons of resources on my blogs and youtube channel.

      Delete
  19. I had a 93 the first time I took it with 38% for verbal,75% for math, and 42% for science.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jc C, sorry to hear this. Take some time to carefully watch my video lessons and practice exams. You will succeed the next time around. Don't give up!

      Delete
  20. i got a composite score of 121. is it a good score?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brenda, It is a good score. I guess you should be between 80-85 percentile. Someone who scored a composite of 135 was on the 91st percentile.

      Delete
  21. My School wants 45 in each area my composite score was 61 Verbal 23% Math 55% science 23% I need a better understanding to pass my nln.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I took it, my composite was 107, my college requires a 110 to even be considered entrance into the program. The lowest score accepted last year when it filled up wad 127. I purchased the practice guides and tests from the NLN, studied for a week, retook the test again today and got a composite score of 143 which put me in the 93rd percentile. I swear by those now. I haven't been in school in 15 years and had forgotten more than I remembered. Their study material were easy to understand and comprehend and it was all content specific, so the stuff being studied was actually on the test. Best of luck to you!! Also, quizlet has alot of the material available free to study from others who have posted. I hope this helps you and Good Luck!!!

      Delete
  22. Hello sweetlovable94, I hope you take time to watch my videos and other lessons to help you pass the next time around. I wish you the best of luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi, I got a composite score of 127 and a percentile of 92%. is that good? my school says they want a 90% to be considered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, your score is excellent. I wish you the best in your nursing journey.

      Delete
  24. Im in the process of taking my pax-pn exam. Can someone explain what type of math is the exam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out this link for some sample questions.
      https://pre-nlnprep.blogspot.com/p/math-practice-questions-20-new-questions.html

      Delete
  25. There are operations (+,÷,×,-) on fractions and decimals, percentages, ratio and proportions, basic algebra and word problems. Solving equations and inequalities. Unit and measurement conversions. Basic statistics such as finding mean, median and mode. Solving system of equations.

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi my composite score was a 73 37/60 in verbal 55/40 math 32/60 my school require a percentile rank of 45 in each to pass what should my composite score be?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello,
    I have a composite of 119, and I'm in the 73rd percentile overall. Is that good?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello,
    I have a composite of 119, and I'm in the 73rd percentile overall. Is that good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, it is good but again it depends on the school and how many of the students they get who have a higher percentile than yours.

      Delete
  29. hello, i am very confused how to calculate composite score. i took the NLN practice tests through NLN website. i scored 74% on science, 68% on math and 80% verbal. i need a composite score of 60 AD (60th percentile) to get into the program. did i get that and how do i know??

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello, the composite score is a weighted average of all the scores which you cannot calculate yourself. It should appear on your official score report. I am not sure if the practice test gives you that, but with the scores that you have, I believe you should be able to get above the 60th percentile.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I keep wracking my brain on how to figure out my composite score and percentile ranking over all. In need 105 Composite score minimum. I have verbal 37/60. Science 35/60. Math 18/40.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, the composite score is a weighted average of all the scores which you cannot calculate yourself. It should appear on your official score report. With the math score of 18/40, I don't think the composite is near 105.

      Delete
    2. Here is a sample composite score. Somebody who had verbal 42/60, math 38/40, and science 30/60 had a composite score of 66.
      Another person had 37/60 in verbal, 55/40 math, and 32/60 in science and the composite score was 73. Another person also scored verbal 33/60, math 30/40, and science 35/60. and the composite score was 113.

      Delete
  32. Hello. I would like to know if i pass with score in 30% in verbal, 33% science and 20% in math do u think i got good score.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello friend, these scores are too low. I will encourage you to spend time to look at the materials on my blog and other video lessons to help you prepare well for your next trial. I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors this year!

      Delete
  33. Hi, my composite score is 116 and my percentile rank is 69. How does that look?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello GraceAnatomy, it all depends on the school you plan to attend and the percentile rank that they want. The higher your percentile, the better your chance of getting into the nursing school.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi, my composite score is 140, percentile rank is 95%. Verbal 38/60, math 36/40, science 48/60. How do they get 140 from? I thought my score supposed to be 122/160.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, my composite score is 140, percentile rank is 95%. Verbal 38/60, math 36/40, science 48/60. How do they get 140 from? I thought my score supposed to be 122/160.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen, the composite scores are calculated based on a statistical formula and not just adding up your raw scores. Congratulations on your performance!

      Delete
  37. Hello Professor, my name is rebbeca and my composite score was 85 , for the verbal I had 52% out of 60 questions correct, for the math 43% out of 40 questions correct and for the science 47% out of 60 questions correct , what does this mean please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rebecca, the scores are quite low on each section that is why the composite score is low. Aim for getting about two-thirds of each section right and your percentile will be good. Best of luck!

      Delete
  38. hello, MY name is sherbie and my composite score was 134 and 1 percentile. is that a good score?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sherbie, a typical composite score of 140 will have a percentile of 95%. You had a composite of 134 which should put you at a high percentile maybe around 90%, which is good. I am not sure where you had the 1 percentile. I believe it is a typo!

      Delete
    2. Someone who scored a composite of 135 was on the 91st percentile.

      Delete
  39. Is 85% Verbal, 70% math and 65% science competitive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dporter4, your scores are quite ok but the competitiveness will depend on the school you plan to apply to.

      Delete
  40. Hello,
    I need help!
    My NLN scores were as follows
    Composite Score 130 87 RN Percentile Rank
    Verbal 83% 96 Percentile Rank
    Math 85% 80 Percentile Rank
    Science 48% 34 Percentile Rank.
    My GPA is 3.75
    My question is with everything except the Science I am in a category 1 but my science is below 2% below the minimum requirement that would put me in a Category 3. Does this mean I am ineligible to apply for the ADN program?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, every school have their own cut-off scores so your score may be fine with some schools depending on how competitive they are.

      Delete